Search This Blog

Loading...

It's time to try something new. Again?

Changes happen so fast and furious in our crazy Army lives. How can we embrace the "new" normal when it becomes the "old" normal before we blink? This blog is dedicated to making sense of it all and finding a way to channel the changes into a routine that will help me stay sane in my quest for normal.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

It's OK to Smell Good When He's Gone


For some reason that seems to be a hard lesson for me to learn and remember.  Case in point.  Yesterday, I found myself staring at an assortment of nicely fragranced lotions, perfumes, spritzers and soaps.  I just stood there looking at this huge quantity of potential smell goods and all I could say was, "Oh, I'll save those for when he comes home."  [Please do not ask me why I was talking to myself.]

Well, let me tell you something.  He (or she) isn't always going to be home!  That's a fact with military life.  The drawdown in Afghanistan is just going to mean more trips to Africa or Korea.  There will still be plenty of TDY's, restricted tours, training rotations and, yes, even deployments.  He will be gone again.  I know this.

So why, for the love of all that smells good, do I pretend that I am only worthy of smelling extra special good when he is home?  Don't get me wrong.  I use my Secret every day, but it's just a neutral mom smell.  Why do I even have this great collection of scents--many gifted from him--if I don't treat myself and those around me to the idea that on any given Thursday I deserve to smell great?

One of my 2014 resolutions is now to smell good all the time.  Starting tomorrow.  Because I already got ready for today and I forgot my resolution.  But you can be sure that tomorrow I'm putting on that expensive French parfum.  Promise!

Yo homes, smell you later...

1 comment:

  1. After "staying home" with pregnancies and babies and so on, I have been realizing the past couple years how sloppy I have let myself go on normal days. It's wanting to be comfortable in a changing body and not wanting to get spit-up on my good clothes, of course, but in my case it turned into habitual dress-down, like my college days. It's been enlightening to me to realize that there are specific things I can do to my appearance in the mornings that boost my self-confidence and makes me feel better and stronger about myself. It might be good smells for you and something else for me, the point is that we can and should do things that cheer us up and make us stronger, whether it's logical or not doesn't matter! We can fix ourselves up for our husbands, sure, but we can also build ourselves up for our own work we have to do. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete